Tuesday 4 October 2011

The fruits of our (not very hard) labour

When I was in England this August I could feel autumn coming as the days became shorter, the rain colder and the air developed a chilly bite. It felt like back to school, like the start of the six-month British winter, time to pack away light summer clothes and find the Christmas decorations - not good at all.

Even though over the past week or so England has enjoyed a summery blast of heat, I think it's better here. Yesterday it reached 35 degrees in the shade - as hot as it's been all summer, yet the cooler mornings give a bit of a bounce to life. David's been up and out early, hacking stubborn old shrubs and suckers out of the terraces in the early morning light (well, the sun doesn't come up until about 8am), and the plants are enjoying some free water from the overnight dew.


We're benefitting from a longer growing season than we were used to in our north London garden. I planted some serrano chilli seeds on 1 July (thank you for the freebie, Wahaca), they flowered in late August and I thought we were far too late for fruits, but now we've got a good crop well on the way.



I've just planted some more chilli seeds to see what will happen. David says it's a silly idea.

We had a huge crop of figs from one tree in late August/early September. We couldn't keep up with eating them as fast as they needed to be picked so I tried drying some in the sun. They took about two days to become storable, but not completely dry. They tasted wonderful - almost better than the fresh figs as they're not as rich. However, a few ended up with maggots in as they'd been sitting outside smelling sweet and delicious for the flies and wasps. I'll try drying them in muslin bags next time, I think.

I made a few jars of chutney too. I'm giving it a little while to mature before I give you the verdict. It looks nice though.






1 comment: