Wednesday 6 July 2011

Some days are better than others

It's not all wonderful views and non-stop fiestas, you know. Today isn't going well.

We had been feeling really pleased with ourselves for learning to manage our off-grid power system. We've been diligently making sure that everything's well charged up and we've been trying to be as nice as possible to the batteries (how to care for batteries is the source of much debate among the off-grid community). Then this morning, just as we plugged in the generator to boost the system, suddenly all the power disappeared from the batteries. They'd been reading that they were 97% charged and they plunged to 0% for no apparent reason.

So it's now 6.30pm and we've had the generator on since about 9.30am trying to get them back up to 100%. We're still only on 62%. I've been trawling the internet to try to find out what went wrong. All I'm finding is more things to worry about (why we're not getting a full charge, whether the solar panels are working properly, whether we've got too many things pulling power out and not enough going in...).

On top of that, there are loads of wasps taking a peculiar interest in my pot of mint outside the front door, and I'm too scared to move it. I moved all the other plants in case they too became similarly affected and I've just discovered that the protective lid has blown off the salad seedlings and they've all perished in the sun.

I got attacked by a swarm of black flies earlier. The tiny mosca negra is much dreaded in these parts - some people are allergic to their bites and they're said to plague the Ebro region. I hadn't worried much about them as I hadn't seen many - until today. So I went into panic mode, coated myself in some honey moisturiser which is supposed to fend them off and sprayed fly spray around the house in case any had come inside. (I know fly spray is bad, but there is a time and a place for it.) The cat then ran back inside the house - right into the toxic fumes - so I had to dive in after her - fireman-style with my hand over my mouth - and pull her out. The spray didn't kill any flies anyway.

And in addition to the generator thundering away all day, David has been strimming while I've been trying to concentrate on work. So much for peace and quiet - grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment